Last Updated on February 15, 2022 by Real Men Sow
Let me guess, you left your runner beans for a while and now you got a TON of them in your garden. Now, you are left with massively over-produced runner beans but you don’t want them to go to waste. What do you do if you don’t have the time? Wonder if you should be freezing runner beans without blanching?
Here’s how to blanch runner beans. This is a quick and easy way to save all the wonderful runner beans that you have grown. This step-by-step guide will show you how to freeze runner beans (as long you have a freezer).
Steps To Freezing Runner Beans Without Blanching
- Pick your runner beans
- Wash the runner beans – Make sure you get rid of all dirt and other debris from beans.
- Cut the beans to the size you prefer – Some prefer large pieces while others prefer small ones. It’s up to you.
- Dry the beans on tea towels or similar – Tea towels absorb more water, so its best to use tea towels. Pat dry the beans by placing towels on top and below the beans. The beans will dry in about 20-25 minutes.
- Place beans in zip lock bags in portion size – This is up to you and usually depends on how many people are being served at each meal.
- Put zip lock bags full of beans in the freezer
Can Other Beans Be Frozen Without Blanching?
All green beans and all peas can freeze without having to blanch them. They will not deteriorate if they are kept for more than 6-8 weeks. They will start to lose their colour and become mushy.
Why should you dry the beans after washing?
Beans that have been frozen wet will stick together and they may also develop freezer burn.
How long will runner beans last in the freezer without blanching?
You can leave it in the freezer for at least two months
Can you freeze runner beans without blanching?
Yes, you can simply put them in your freezer
What are the benefits of freezing runner beans without blanching?
It’s quick and easy, and it saves you the time and effort spent on growing beans.
How many beans should I put in each bag?
It’s up to you. It all depends on how many people will eat beans at each meal.
Why do people blanch vegetables before freezing?
It depends on how long the vegetables have been in storage. It’s best to perform blanching on anything that is more than 6-8 weeks.
What does blanching do?
Blanching prevents the growth of enzymes that cause vegetables to lose color, rot and to degrade.
How do you blanch vegetables?
Place the vegetables in boiling water for 2 minutes, then let them cool in ice water.