Last Updated on October 8, 2022 by Real Men Sow
Your neighbor’s party walls and garden walls aren’t always very attractive. You have many options to hide and cover them: by hanging plants, climbing plants, wooden trellises, or by giving them a second life.
Choose Climbing Plants To Hide Ugly Walls
Climbing plants can hide facades or large party walls made of cinder blocks because they are durable and can hang on to whatever support they are covering. They must be selected in accordance with the wall’s surface and exposure to sunlight. You should also consider the conditions of the support. Make sure to choose climbing plants that won’t damage the wall. These are just a few ideas that might help.
Plants For North- Facing Walls
- Ivy (Hedera helix) – has dark green foliage all year-round.
- Climbing Hydrangea (Hydrangea petiolaris) – has beautiful flowers in summer and green leaves that turn yellow, then purplish in autumn.
- Winter jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) – has bright yellow flowers that opens in January
Plants For East-Facing Walls
- Honeysuckles (Lonicera) – They flower for many years, from spring through fall. Because they dislike being placed against too hot walls, they prefer a wall facing east.
- Golden hops (Humulus, lupulus aureus) – Their yellow leaves brighten up the garden and give it the appearance of expanding.
- The Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus henryana) – beautiful in autumnal red and it can also be found with decorative variegated leaves.
Plants For South-Facing Walls
Climbing plants or bulky shrubs that like full sun: ceanothus, small-flowered clematis, officinal jasmine, etc.
In regions with a mild climate in winter, where it does not freeze: flowering climbing plants such as bougainvillea, passionflower, shriveled solanum, Plumbago, and star jasmine complete this list.
Plants For West-Facing Walls
- Bignone (Campsis) – has beautiful orange or red trumpet flowers
- Ornamental kiwi (Actinidia kolomikta) – variegated leaves of cream and rose.
Get Decorative Trellis
You can create beautiful decorations to hide a wall using trellises made of metal, wood or plastic. This decoration can be easily customized by simply playing with:
Create a drawing using the perspectives. You can also vary the dimensions of your trellises or leave voids on your walls to create an effect.
Consider the colour of the ugly wall
The wall color must be considered when choosing the color of the trellis. Lighter or whiter wood trellis colors work well with brick walls, while darker colors are better for hiding light walls. You can also choose plants that are low-growing to enhance it.
Hanging plants to hide an ugly wall in the garden
On a drystone wall or to dress an old pebble wall, you can choose hanging plants that offer seasonal blooms. They root easily in the more or less wide joints of the wall.
Plants to cover a damp wall
- Small-flowered periwinkles (Vinca minor)
- The Yellow Corydalis (Corydalis lutea)
- The silver basket (Arabis), with many small white flowers
- Small ferns such as the false capillary (Asplenium trichomanes) or the rue des murailles (Asplenium ruta-muraria)
Hanging plants to cover a dry, very sunny wall
All of these plants need little water.
- The céraistes
- The wallflower ravenelle, with beautiful colorful flowers
- Alpine baby’s breath (Gypsophila repens)
- The many varieties of sedums
Get A Hedge or a Flower Bed
Hydrangea or Photinia, Mexican Orange, Mexican laurel-tin, laurel tin, shrub Fuchsia or Phygelius are all good choices for partial shade. Combining them will give you a flowering hedge that lasts almost year-round.
How to hide an ugly exterior wall from the neighbor?
You cannot work on a party wall that belongs to your neighbor if he has given you permission or even the trellis plants. You can still place trellises in front of the wall if you do not have authorization.
Next, hang many potted plants or shrubs to create a green wall. You will need to water your plants regularly to ensure that the project is successful.